Tuesday, May 5, 2009

OB update, almost 40 weeks

I honestly cannot wrap my brain around the idea that my due date is TOMORROW. It's still surreal, that we're HAVING A BABY IN THE NEXT TWO WEEKS!!! Andrew was six days past-due, that's a week from now! My doctor has agreed to "let me go" to 41 weeks, then we'll be taking it two days at a time after that (checking amniotic fluid levels, seeing how he's coping, etc.). I have an appointment for Monday, 5 days past-due...and I'm REALLY hoping to see her before then!!

So today I had lost a little weight again, which seems impossible...I just need to eat two of everything to gain at this point, I suppose. She isn't concerned, however, and says he's growing just fine. My belly measured 37 cm for 40 weeks, his heart rate was in the 130s and my blood pressure was normal. She said we're doing great!!

Looking at me, she said twice that I "look done." I said, "Maybe that's because I'm not wearing make-up." She said, "Nope. You look done." I'll take it!! Who wouldn't, though, at 40 weeks pregnant?? When you've had that due date in mind for so long, it's not much fun to get to the PLUS "x-number of days" phase!

So I am dilated now to 3.5 cm, so that's an improvement! He's still pretty high, as is my cervix, so she again couldn't do the membrane sweep. I'm glad, actually, and would rather nature take its course. I'm not at that really, really DONE phase of, "Do anything to get this baby out!!" so a little more waiting is fine with me. I'm hoping he gets things going on his own soon, though!

The best part was that when I was heading down the hall, she looked up from my chart and said, "My bet is you only have a few days left." I said, "I'll take that bet!"

I think just last night was that turning point of "being done." We took Andrew to the park so I was walking, of course, and going up and down steps, sliding, climbing, etc. and all evening, was crampy and not feeling great. By the time we were headed for bed, I was getting tons of weird sensations and pains, lots of cramping (even low) and plenty of BHCs. At about 1 a.m., he started moving like crazy--more than EVER before--and causing me all kinds of discomfort. I finally got up and sat on the ball for a while, and realized I was feeling some pulsing down low--so I think he was so squirmy because he had hiccups, but I couldn't feel them laying down! Either way, I definitely felt "different" and like things were moving along--and from today's report, I guess I was right.

Still today, I'm feeling different and he's moving different--so hopefully we're making progress! We have Bible study tonight but afterward, I'm thinking we need another trip to the park and more walking!! I also have a ton of energy, so that's interesting.

So...we wait. Could be any time now!!

2 comments:

Avily Jerome said...

Yay!!! So exciting! Keep us posted!

sailorcross said...

Hi Tab!!

I just stopped by quickly to see how things were going!!

Hang in there and keep us posted!! We're anxiously awaiting!!

Beth