Tuesday, September 23, 2008

OB update

I had my first OB appointment yesterday with a new doctor that came recommended from a friend. The office was in a...how do you say...SEEDY part of town?? But, they are moving to the offices across from Banner Estrella hospital (which is where I'd be giving birth). That's only about 5 miles from home, so that's doable.

The office itself left a lot to be desired and it was definitely busy. I was left in the exam room wearing nothing but the paper stuff for almost 45 minutes! Not fun, especially when you're already nervous! But I did like Dr. LaBranche and I'm glad she's a WOMAN! She seems very down-to-earth, knowledgeable and has a good sense of humor. Plus, she's a Christian! She attend North Phoenix Baptist! So that's a bonus.

I didn't get to ask all of my questions but I'll be going back in a month when I'll be at about 11 weeks so I hope to "interview" her a bit better then. I know I can birth naturally so I'm not really worried, as long as she respects my wishes and we communicate well.

My uterus measured at right around 8 weeks, which is just right. She found a cyst in my left breast so I'm getting a sonogram on that. Beyond that, there weren't any concerns. I get a blood test this week, too.

So far, I haven't had any cramping or bleeding. This Friday will mark when the miscarriage was complete last time, so getting over that "milestone" will be reassuring!!

She talked to me about supplements, nutrition, additional tests, etc. and I turned down extra tests and an early ultrasound. We talked about my due date and since I know when I conceived, it's pretty accurate, despite my longer cycles.

So...it went fine and I plan to stick with her, barring any red flags the next time I'm there. I know what I want and what I have to do (regarding pregnancy and birth) and I know Drew will be my best support so beyond that, I just need to know that she won't work against me during the actual labor/birth. I think we'll be fine.

I'm asking everyone to continue to pray for the health of the baby (and me). I feel mildly nauseated basically all the time, but it does come in waves. I feel fine sometimes, too! Food and I have a love-hate relationship. I am tired and fatigued a lot. But it's all worth it and I know the second trimester will bring relief!!

And as a P.S., we are investigating the total cost of the pre-natal care and birth (our insurance pays 80% of the bill)...and there's a chance paying a midwife would be cheaper, so that may still be an option, and one I'm open to. In fact, I'd love to go back to my midwife and try another homebirth. But, it's a complicated decision, financially and otherwise...so pray for wisdom!!

No comments: