Wednesday, November 12, 2008

15 weeks

Well, the second trimester hasn't brought as much relief as I would like but it's still tolerable and only occasional so I won't complain.

I still hover around having gained only 1 or 2 lbs. My doc wasn't worried when I hadn't gained last time so we shall see. I definitely have to force myself to eat most of time, unless it's pickles. Those go down real easy. I swear, it's because I'm not eating sweets and drinking coffee like I did before getting pregnant--that's a lot of calories!! I ought to stick to that post-pregnancy!

Any day now, I expect to feel the baby move. They say it's usually between 16 and 21 weeks but with Andrew, I felt the first flutter at 14 weeks! Then nothing until 19. But still! With all the aches and jolts and weird sensations going on with my belly, I feel like at any moment, I'll feel that little "swish!" I can't wait!! That'll hold me over to the ultrasound! I'd just like to start bonding with this baby and being reminded that it's in there!!

I'm sleeping great, despite all the thoughts whirling around in my head, surprisingly NOT baby-related! More related to all the birthdays coming up, the holidays approaching, the gifts I'm going to make....so it's a good distraction!

**Side note. It amazes me that you could find out the gender this early! It seems way too soon for that kind of detail, but...as my pregnancy journal says, most everything has already formed, now it's just maturing and growing! Amazing! Good thing the next several weeks are jam-packed with activities so I'm not on pins and needles, waiting for the ultrasound on Dec. 22nd!!

Here's this week's info.:



Your growing baby now measures about 4 inches long, crown to rump, and weighs in at about 2 1/2 ounces (about the size of an apple). She's busy moving amniotic fluid through her nose and upper respiratory tract, which helps the primitive air sacs in her lungs begin to develop.

Her legs are growing longer than her arms now, and she can move all of her joints and limbs. Although her eyelids are still fused shut, she can sense light. If you shine a flashlight at your tummy, for instance, she's likely to move away from the beam. There's not much for your baby to taste at this point, but she is forming taste buds. Finally, if you have an ultrasound this week, you may be able to find out whether your baby's a boy or a girl! (Don't be too disappointed if it remains a mystery, though. Nailing down your baby's sex depends on the clarity of the picture and on your baby's position. He or she may be modestly curled up or turned in such a way as to "hide the goods.")

So here's me tonight in a maternity tee and my new pants. So comfy!! This is at 15 weeks.



And here's one with a little perspective.



And I'm being brave now and posting a naked-belly shot, just to compare with Andrew's...and to warn any first-time moms that, YES, your body looks different the second time! I wasn't doing any crunches or anything, either, though!

Here's me now at 15 weeks...



...and at 15 weeks with Andrew! PHEW, those stretched-out muscles are obvious!! BUT, I always wished I looked more pregnant, so...be careful what you wish for!



No comments: