Sunday, December 21, 2008

The night before the big ultrasound...

...and I seem to be the only one in the house who cares!! :)

My feeling is definitely excitement. It's as bad as Christmas Eve, which ironically, is only three days away! I'm notorious for not being able to sleep on Christmas Eve, because I'm so excited and my head is swimming with how people will react to my gifts and what gifts I'll get! Tonight, my mind flashes between pink and blue, between raising a daughter (tea parties, fluffy dresses, ballet, prom) and raising a son (football practice, camping trips, muddy sneakers, Boyscouts).

It's similar to finding out you're pregnant. That second line changes EVERYthing. In an instant, your life takes a turn. And while tomorrow's result doesn't technically change anything, it does set the course for the rest of my life. Will Andrew have a brother or a sister? Will I be raising two boys or the idyllic boy and a girl?

The boy vs. girl quandary is a big one. I definitely don't have a strong feeling either way. What am I HOPING for?? Well...I definitely want a girl...someday! But I am really enjoying being the mother of a son and I'd love another boy, and would love for Andrew to have a brother. In a perfect world, if we could request the gender, I'd probably have asked for two boys and then a girl.

Each one presents its own issues. With another boy, it's going to be hard to imagine a baby in there who isn't Andrew. And when he is born, it will be hard to not expect it to look and act like Andrew. He and Andrew could be complete opposites!! But boys are so much fun and seem to be more low-maintenance.

With a girl, it's a whole new ballgame. Girls tend to get on my nerves more because they can be emotional and clingy, or just plain strong-willed. I know we'll butt heads, too, and compete for attention. Yikes!

I'm actually hoping for boy news tomorrow. The girl news would be somewhat more exciting, just because it'll be different than Andrew and let's face it--buying baby girl gifts is a blast!! The pink baby showers would be fun, and having a girl to raise next will definitely be challenging!! But I know how to do a boy and I adore my boy, and I think Andrew would make a better big brother to a boy right now. He'd love a sister, too, though!! Brothers sure are cute...

So I'm probably at about 51% boy, 49% girl. Neither will be disappointing. I really just want to know what to call this baby and to know what our new family dynamic is going to be.

Most of all, I want the reassurance that the baby is growing well and that it is healthy. The boy/girl thing is just a bonus. And there's always that chance that the baby won't cooperate, so I can't get my hopes up too much!!

The baby poll is definitely leaning toward girl. Out of 21 votes, 16 are for a girl!! So we'll see if Amy, Drew and others are right, or if I'm right!!

I'm just so excited to see the baby and what it looks like in there, and just the whole ultrasound process.

I'm so tired, I hope I can sleep!!

I'll post the big news ASAP!!! We should be home by about 2:00 Arizona time!

No comments: