Wednesday, April 15, 2009

37 weeks--OB report

*** TMI alert!! For women's eyes only! ***

My doctor and I were both excited today that I am "full term." We made it!!!

Drew and Andrew came along so that was fun!

My belly measured 37cm for 37 weeks, right on. Gained 1.5 lbs FINALLY, which puts me up to right around 18 total (I think). My appetite has returned so it's nice to enjoy food again and not be forcing myself to eat.

Ethan's heart-rate was in the 140s. He had to be sleeping cuz he'd been pretty quiet for the hour or so beforehand, whereas typically, he's jumping around like crazy with a heart rate in the 160s.

My blood pressure was good, as always.

And, of course, she "checked" me. I was never checked during my pregnancy with Andrew so I have no point of comparison...but I am 2 cm and my vagina is starting to soften slightly, but is still quite high. So...things are starting to soften and prepare, of course, but he hasn't dropped and there are certainly no signs of impending labor. She asked if I'm contracting and I said I haven't really noticed--but there are lots of jolts, tightening and pressure that could easily BE contractions.

She gave Drew the all clear to go out of town next week--we're figuring that I've got at least a week before things get going. PHEW!

The highlight was when she was listening for Ethan's heartbeat with the Doppler and Andrew was watching her and said, "Be careful with Ethan." HA! He's already looking out for his little brother!

The building where my OB's office is sits right next to the hospital so we took different routes to get there and back, so we have plans A and B for getting to the hospital. We also saw the maternity and emergency entrances, so it'll depend on when we arrive as to which one we use. So I feel better about that!!

Afterward, Drew treated me to an Icee and a Snickers--yum!! And he didn't have to go back to work, so we're all home, enjoying the cool afternoon and some downtime.

My mom is coming to stay this weekend because my dad will be a few miles away at the race track and Drew is planning to head across town to their house to do some soul searching and praying. So he'll be close by if anything happens. Then he leaves Monday for Florida for a church planting conference with our pastor, so mom is staying the nights he's gone (Mon., Tues. and Wed.). It's more to keep me company and hang out with Andrew than "just in case," but I will feel better having a birthing coach nearby should things start changing. I'm banking on Drew arriving home to a slightly larger and more miserable wife Thursday night!

And, of course, we'll know more on Wednesday when I go back at 38 weeks!

In the meantime, no hiking or heavy lifting for me! Or vacuuming or mopping or strenuous chores...maybe just sipping Starbucks drinks and watching movies, y'know, just to be safe...

No comments: