Wednesday, April 29, 2009

39 weeks, OB update

So the story is, I've been having contractions for the last week or so...enough to time them and take notice. Yesterday, I started getting this tight ball at the top middle of my belly when I'd feel myself tighten--like a baseball! NOT a baby body part, either, because it wasn't moving--it just tightened, then loosened. So we started thinking, "Oh, goody, contractions!" and thought things might be moving. We remember when I was in labor with Andrew that I had Drew feel my stomach tighten in the same way...the difference with him was, it was also accompanied by the contractions in the lower abdomen.

Alas, I saw my doctor today and she said, yes, different parts of the uterus contract at different times...but it doesn't do anything to actually change your dilation or cervix--they're just uncomfortable and annoying!!

So, yeah, the "contractions" aren't doing anything except making me semi-miserable off and on all day! BUT, the good news is, I know what to look out for--the lower, menstrual-like cramping I had when labor started with Andrew. My first contraction when I woke up that day was low and felt "different," and sure enough--labor time! They just got more intense and closer together and all that--so that's what we're waiting for now.

In other news, I haven't dilated any more and may be even dilated less because of how he's sitting. In fact, my cervix was so high that she couldn't be sure even of the 2cm and she had planned to sweep my membranes--but said it would've been hard to do, and really uncomfortable for me. Obviously that wasn't a good option and she really prefers to "let nature take its course" so I'm glad for that.

He hasn't moved any lower and things haven't really progressed in a week--except that I FEEL better and gained .5lb. instead of losing! I know I've eaten SO much better in the last week, and now I can imagine how much more he needed and how much I needed even more than that. I definitely wasn't "eating for two" and I regret the time I spent feeling so miserable and not understanding that my body just needed more fuel. Live and learn. It helps that the anxiety is so much better--that makes a huge difference. In fact, the last couple of days I've felt super-energized and clear-headed, which has been nice--and my appetite is back! YEAH!

So no real "news," except that we're probably looking at another week. Well, and my blood pressure and his heart rate and all of that were all beautiful--which is a HUGE blessing!!

I've got a women's luncheon to help out with at church Sat. (I would like to be there--it should be fabulous!) and hopefully my Blessingway with a few close friends Sat. night--looks like I'll make it! I go back to the doc Tues...then Wed. is my due date--and after that, I'll be getting pretty antsy! I don't mind going past-due--I told my doc I'm totally OK with going to 41 weeks. I would, however, like him safely in my arms by Mother's Day!!

So here's pictures from today--it's getting hard to find tops that cover my enormous belly, so I opted for this dress--but it made me look massive!!

39 weeks and HUUUUGE!!



No wonder people looked at me warily in Target--I truly do look like I'm about to POP!!!



At least here you can see that I do still have a waist!! :)



And the neked belly yesterday.



We'll see how many more of these updates I'll do--my doctor said she'd love for today to have been the last day she sees me in the office!! Good thing GOD IS IN CONTROL!!

No comments: